Saturday, September 25, 2010
TEAM GRIFFIN RALLY
Growing up my sister and I would walk to the park on weekend mornings for cheerleading games. My sister was the cheerleader and I was a mascot. We dressed in the red and white school colors and wore the letter 'M' emblazoned on the front of our sweaters. Back then we would shake the pom-poms and call out cheers exclaiming how our team's power and might would win over the other team. I recall some of the cheers talking about motorcycles and valley talk and went something like,
"..WE'RE GOING TO RIDE ON YOU LIKE A KAWASAKI, VROOM, VROOM, 2-3-4..."
"...A-W-E-S-O-M-E, AWESOME, AWESOME, TO-TAL-LY..."
We cheered on, rain or shine, in hopes our team would win.
Today, my sister and I, will be walking together along with our family and friends in a very important walk. We will be cheering along the route and we may even call out the cheers about motorcycles and total awesomeness.
We will walk to raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. That money will aid research and directly benefit those who are afflicted with blood cancers.
My sister Gretchen and my brother-in-law, Jon Maks, have a 4 year old son, Griffin, who is fighting Leukemia. The story of Griffin's fight is a daily battle.
We walk knowing these funds will benefit Griffin. We hope that research will find a cure. We hope we will win this battle. We hope you will join the fight.
The day is here and the LIGHT THE NIGHT WALK is tonight.
So I ask you reader, will you also rally for TEAM GRIFFIN?
These are the details for TEAM GRIFFIN:
1. Location -- Upper Hutchinson Field in Grant Park (SW corner of Columbus and Balbo -- PDF map of Grant Park enclosed); Team Griffin will gather at TENT 1 (the Kids' Tent).
2. Time to gather-- Festivities begin at 5:30pm -- for check-in and last-minute registration; for food and drink (5:30 - 7pm); to pickup freebies and such; to purchase additional Team Griffin T-shirts from Gretchen ($15 for adult, $10 for youth).
3. Time to walk -- the actual walk begins at 7pm and is about 2 miles long. If you're accompanied by people with short legs, you might want to bring a stroller. The walk should be done by 9pm.
4. Weather forecast -- it looks like it will be clear and cool in the 50's, and since we're on the lakefront, it might be breezy, so dress appropriately and wear comfortable shoes!
5. Team Griffin Group Picture -- hopefully we'll get an "official picture", or at least be organized enough to do one ourselves, at 6:30pm.
6. Parking -- there will be parking nearby at the Millennium Park lots (see enclosed PDF map of Grant Park), at parking lots west of S. Michigan Ave, and some nearby street parking.
7. Bring any additional funds you've raised (cash and checks)-- this is the opportunity to get acknowledged for money you raised for the walk; if you have raised $100 or more, you can collect a Light The Night t-shirt at one of the t-shirt tents (this is in addition to the Team Griffin shirt). If you've raised $500 or more, you will get a special pass to the VIP Tent, which will have MORE food, an open bar and other goodies. If you've raised at least $1000, you will get a 2nd VIP pass!
8. There will be a Kid's Corner opening at 5:30pm for a variety of fun activities, including a bounce house, face painting, games, prizes and more!
9. If you're walking to remember a loved one you've lost to leukemia or lymphoma, join others for the Remembrance Ceremony at 6:45pm at the main stage.
10. Call Gretchen or Jon with any questions or concerns.
11. WEAR YOUR 2010 TEAM GRIFFIN T-SHIRTS!
See you there!